Inland Cruiser moored up

Cruiser Equipment

Cruiser Equipment

River cruisers are modern sleek boats and easy to steer as they have a steering wheel like a car. They also come in a variety of sizes. Smaller day hire boats have less facilities than the larger cruisers used for holidays. If you are hiring then the hire company will provide all the necessary equipment. If you have purchaed a river boat cruiser you will need the boat and a mooring. Most dealers will put together a suitable package for your needs, which will include mooring ropes and fenders. In addition you will need life-jackets for every person on board, and warm waterproof coats.


Water Safety

For safety you will need a waterproof hand-held VHF radio, plus a licence for its use. A fully-charged mobile phone in a waterproof case is a useful back-up. You will also need charts of the waters you will be traveling in. You will need a pack of flares for signalling should you have an emergency, suitable for inshore waters, plus a knife, tool-kit and small first-aid kit. A waterproof bag for spare clothes and cameras is a good idea.


Equipment Costs

Buoyancy Aid from £30
Licence £30 p.a
Life Jacket from £30

These costs are only a rough guide and may vary.



Chandleries are boating stores that stock boating supplies and equipment such as clothing, safety equipment, rope, security equipment, fenders, furnishings, engine parts, cover and canopies and paints etc. Chandleries have spread right across the canal and inland waterway system in the last 30 years and larger chandlers can carry thousands of items to enable you to maintain or to completely fit out a canal boat. Most marinas and boatyards have a chandlery so you don't have to worry about planning ahead. Although if you want to buy before you set off many canal chandlers now offer mail order and online purchase.