The Duke of Edinburgh's Award
YBW reports that youngsters trying to get a Duke of Edinburgh Award can now involve sailing as part of the test. As a British Marine strategic partner the RYA has announced a new partnership with the prestigious award programme.
With the new partnership the RYA becomes a DofE National Operating Authority. This means young people aged between 14 and 24 can now take part in boating activities at RYA clubs or training centres as part of their DofE programme.
'We are very excited to be a part of the DofE Award which is another fantastic opportunity for youngsters to experience the sport and to develop their skills,' said Amanda Van Santen, RYA Chief Instructor for Dinghy and Windsurfing.
'There are three progressive levels, which when successfully completed lead to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Award. Within an RYA club or training centre, there are many activities young people could take part, or continue to take part in which can count towards this,' she added.
British Marine members who offer this award are:
Jubilee Sailing Trust
- Tall Ships Youth Trust
- The Tall Ships Youth Trust offers Tall Ships Adventures for young people aged 16-25 on their magnificent 60m tall ships STAVROS S NIARCHOS. Tall Ship Adventures can be 7-24 nights around the UK, Europe, Caribbean, Azores, Canaries and Trans-Atlantic. Everyone has a chance to take the helm, climb the rigging, set the sails and work in the galley. Voyages qualify for the Gold Award and you can complete your RYA Competent Crew Certificate. Voyages are all about having fun, facing challenges and your personal development. No experience required and voyages are available for everyone. Help with funding may be available.
- Visit http://www.tallships.org/ Call 023 9283 2055 Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tall Ships Youth Trust, 2A The Hard, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 3PT
British Offshore Sailing School
- The Jubilee Sailing Trust is a unique charity whose aim is the integration of disabled and able bodied people; bringing them together for off shore adventure sailing holidays, aboard two specially designed tall ships. The JST Leadership@Sea Scheme enables young people aged between 16 & 25, to achieve their Gold DofE Award (residential section) whilst learning the historic art of tall ship sailing on a voyage of self-discovery.
- You don't need any previous experience to sail with the JST - so give us a call today on 023 8044 9138 or check out our website at http://www.jst.org.uk/
- The British Offshore Sailing School (BOSS) is one of Britain's leading providers of adventure sailing courses. BOSS offer a variety of flexible modular training and sailing experiences to individuals or groups who want to undertake maritime based sailing expeditions for their Silver or Gold DofE programmes. They have full Royal Yachting Association (RYA) recognition and all vessels are licensed by the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
- Find out more information by calling 02380457733 or visiting www.boss-sail.co.uk/dofe/index.htm
For more information about the Duke of Edinburgh Award visit